2017-12-12 Secret Spirits Undisclosed Speyside 19yo Single Malt

Still one day behind, so tasting this on the 13th

Nose: Apple, green grass, a tiny bit of caramel, some Ketones, for 63.4% abv whisky, the alcohol bite is not bad, some woody notes, a well integrated complex nose
Colour: Light gold, almost like apple juice
Palate: Apple, Caramel, a touch of well integrated bitterness, smooth finish where the apple lingers, a very slight touch of wood

I like this. Smooth and complex. I think the tbsp of water will do well with this whisky

Nose: Not much change really - still  apple, green grass, caramel, a touch of ketones, mild woody notes, and remains well integrated
Palate:  The fruit comes forward, the bitterness changes to a tart acidic yummy middle note, with that bit of apple that lingers on your tongue, a touch of sweetness on the finish that was not there until the water was added.

This is really nice. I think it needs to into the top 5. The question is where - this is a well integrated whisky which shows the beginning of the full complexity of a real top tier - but not quit there yet. Thus:


  1. 2017-12-11 Samaroli - Samaroli Islay Blended Malt
  2. 2017-12-05 Secret Spirits Caol Ila 8yo Single Malt
  3. 2017-12-06 Samaroli Glenallachie 8yo Single Malt
  4. 2012-12-10 The Lost Distillery Jerico Archivist Blended Malt
  5. 2017-12-12 Secret Spirits Undisclosed Speyside 19yo Single Malt

So - there you go - it makes it as number 5. I had to go back and review my reviews to make sure I knew where I wanted to slot this in. I like this - it just made the cut at #5 - goes to show - lots of good whisky!

Links
Secret Spirits
The Singlemalting Review (Another good review - I agree on the citrus - should have called it out - I am not getting the vanilla)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017-12-19 A.D. Rattray Williamson 5 yo Single Malt

2017-12-17 Samaroli MacDuff Sherry 19yo Single Malt

2017-12-18 Secret Spirits Glenrothes 19 yo Single Malt