2017-12-13 Shetland Reel Shetland Reel Batch 3 Blended Malt

Yippie -I am caught up - doing the 13th on the 13th!

Nose: Wow- for 46% abv -very strong alcohol - but not overpowering - then - wood and gentle smoke,a touch of peat, followed by green grass and a touch of bitterness, something like red grapes, a few almonds
Colour: Clear, light gold
Palate: Starts with subtle fruit, then you get some musky wood and smoke notes, a bit of orange peel on the finish, with a smooth woody finish the tapers off nicely to a sweet note

Very nice. I like this alot. What happens with a tbsp of water:

Nose: Green grass, Smoke, Peat,grape
Palate: A touch of caramel, the fruit and sweet fruit, a bit of smoke and peat (just a touch of salt/kelp), still get that touch of citrus, and a smooth woody finish.

Gosh, this is tough. I really like this whisky - but the one I have listed so far as also all really good. Where do we end up?


  1. 2017-12-11 Samaroli - Samaroli Islay Blended Malt
  2. 2017-12-05 Secret Spirits Caol Ila 8yo Single Malt
  3. 2017-12-06 Samaroli Glenallachie 8yo Single Malt
  4. 2017-12-13 Shetland Reel Shetland Reel Batch 3 Blended Malt
  5. 2017-12-12 Secret Spirits Undisclosed Speyside 19yo Single Malt
There you have it - I slotted in in at number 4 - because I liked it more than the existing #4 - but - if I was to taste these back to back - it would be tough.

As I continue to sip, the complexity and balance is there for sure. This for sure is a top 5 at this point. But the exact order is debatable.



Links
Shetland Reel
The Singlemalting Review (I like this review alot - it catches a bunch of the key characteristics better than I did)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017-12-19 A.D. Rattray Williamson 5 yo Single Malt

2017-12-17 Samaroli MacDuff Sherry 19yo Single Malt

2017-12-18 Secret Spirits Glenrothes 19 yo Single Malt