2017-12-17 Samaroli MacDuff Sherry 19yo Single Malt


Nose: Nice sharp something - I do not have a good word - mint is wrong - but like that, grape, caramel, roasted nuts
Colour:Light gold, with a touch of bronze
Palate: smooth caramel, grapes, apple,light wood, a bitter almond alcohol bite on the finish - surprising -this is only 43% abv - but a nice bite on the finish

This is very well integrated. I like this a lot. What happens with a tbsp of water?

Nose: that interesting "sharp something"  is gone, still fruits and roasted nuts, green grass
Palate: Much sweeter on the palate, apple, caramel, toasted nuts and a touch of wood on the finish.

This is another really good whisky I really like it. But - my top 5 remains unchanged:

  1. 2017-12-14 A. D. Rattray  Glen Elgin 21 yo Single Malt
  2. 2017-12-11 Samaroli - Samaroli Islay Blended Malt
  3. 2017-12-05 Secret Spirits Caol Ila 8yo Single Malt
  4. 2017-12-15 Wemyss Malts Peat Chimney Batch Strength
  5. 2017-12-06 Samaroli Glenallachie 8yo Single Malt
I am starting to regret my methodology - both this whisky and the #16 where so very good - on another head to head - they could easily make the top 5.



Links
The Singlemalting review ( ah ha - I like the words he uses for that "sharp something" - he describes it as " A touch of struck match quickly gives way to savory notes of a roast beef sandwich complete with wholegrain mustard" - after hearing that _think I would say that what I get is that burnt match and wholegrain mustard. Well done Singlemalting)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017-12-19 A.D. Rattray Williamson 5 yo Single Malt

2017-12-18 Secret Spirits Glenrothes 19 yo Single Malt